Originally there was no railway station at Birkhill only a short siding and water column which serviced the Birkhill Fire Clay Mine. The present Caledonian building started its life as the Monifieth Station, part of the then Dundee to Arbroath Railway. The station was opened on 6th October 1838.
Parts of the original station buildings were recovered from Monifieth and were rebuilt as a display at the 1988 Glasgow Garden festival and when the festival closed it was acquired by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society and relocated at Birkhill and was opened to passenger’s in 1989
Construction of the station took place in the spring of 1989 just prior to the official opening.
The station exterior has had a few colour schemes over the years!